‘Architecture’ is one such professional course, which despite being lengthy (usually a 5-year course), expensive and with the exhaustive examination process, has been quite distinguished among its other fellow courses. Let’s understand what makes this field so special and different from others –
By its very nature, it requires inter-connectivity with various domains of human life, which are inherited part of understanding the architectural design process. In short, it is a blend of multiple streams twined into one, purposely.
Let’s discuss each one in detail –
1. Human Psychology – The core of Architectural design process is to understand the human psychology and its behavior to provide better solutions to his problems. Unless an Architect empathizes with the physical, mental and emotional needs of the end user (the person for whom he is designing), his design will always fall short of users expectations.
2. Art & Aesthetic – As an Architect, initially the course structure allows the student to unleash his artistic capabilities and delimit his imagination, which is usually curtailed at this age due to various factors. He is exposed to various art movements over the centuries and their impact on the societies. Once the student starts re-exercising his creative freedom, he becomes ready to enjoy the process of the architectural design.
3. Form & Space – The fundamentals of design often called ‘the design principles’ are the key elements of entire Architectural design course. Different forms, shapes, geometry, ratio, proportions, balance, harmony etc. are discussed in detail by taking reference from nature and environment. This creates a special bonding between the student and nature, where gradually he starts observing the things around him and takes meaningful inspirations from them.
4. Individual Expression – Despite the same course structure, each student based on his understanding and inner susceptibility towards the subject tends to develop his own style and expression, which is visible in his design output. This is often called the ‘Signature’ of an architect. Every famous architect typically has his unique signature for which he is known popularly.
5. Language – Over the centuries, history has shown various civilizations having numerous architectural styles which speak the language of that era. Based on the socio-economic conditions of an era, its architectural styles have their reflections. So architectural design includes learning different architectural languages of those times that have evolved into the today’s world in which we live.
6. Creates History – Architecture of any period creates an impression on its structures, which has a long-lasting impact over the centuries. The architectural expression of a period and its civilizations has a potential to be remembered as an important aspect of the timeline. It goes beyond the time and space and creates an irremovable mark in the history.
7. Technical Skills – Apart from all subtle things, understanding of core engineering stuff is also needed to give support to the imagination. Latest engineering technology and techniques are required to build magnificent structures and are an inseparable part of architectural design.
8. Encourages Innovation – With rapidly changing lifestyles, there is a need for new systems to be created and the old one to be abolished or modified. Hence with every new system comes a demand for a new approach, which encourages innovation in the architectural field. This innovation is not limited to any one aspect of design but covers the entire span of the architectural design process.
9. Ready to face challenges – As an architect, one has to deal with lots of constraints and challenges, which comes as a part of every problem. Entire architectural studies prepare the student to deal with challenges tactfully and find the best solution.
10. Direct Impact on Life – Unless we go completely into the woods, we are always surrounded by spaces, which have architectural relevance. It has a direct impact on one’s life day in and out. Something of such a huge impact must be treated well with courtesy. Hence it is very important to give architecture its due credit and add on to its richness.
By its very nature, the study of architecture is a comprehensive package, which is incomplete without the above-said attributes, hence it is always a privileged to be a student of architecture.
Not only one becomes a licensed practitioner of architecture but also a person with deep understanding of life.